WORLD WATER DAY
WHAT IS WORLD WATER DAY???
World water day is the celebration of water and to raise awareness of 2.2 billion people living with no access to fresh clean water. World water day happens on the 22 of March every year since 1993. Every year the United Nations (UN) chooses a theme and this year it is: ‘ Valuing water’.
HOW DID IT START??
• It was started by the UN in 1993 as an international celebration of the importance of safe water.
• It aims to ensure access and stable management of water for all by the year 2030.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT??
• In some countries like Somalia and Afghanistan they don’t have access to fresh water.
• The dirty water they drink can lead to waterborne diseases like cholera and botulism or to death especially kids, who are at a higher risk.
HOW CAN WE CELEBRATE THIS SPECIAL DAY??
Some ideas of celebrating World Water Day fun activities include ;
• Watching a water documentary.
• Making posters.
• Having a school play about world water day.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEM???
• Raise awareness.
• Create new accessible gadgets that are easy to care for to clean water.
• Take quick showers or not filling bathtub to the top.
• Check for and repair any leaks in your house.
• Most importantly let’s gather together and save every drop.